Chennai, Tamil Nadu Climate & Temperature
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India is at 13°0'N, 80°11'E, 16 m (51 ft). See map.
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu has a tropical wet and dry/ savanna climate with a pronounced dry season in the high-sun months, no cold season, wet season is in the low-sun months (Köppen-Geiger classification: As).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Chennai, Tamil Nadu is situated in or near the tropical dry forest biome.
- The annual average temperature is 28.8 degrees Celsius (83.8 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 8.3 °C (14.9°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype barely hyperoceanic.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1541 mm (60.7 inches) which is equivalent to 1541 Litres/m² (37.8 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2716 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Chennai, Tamil Nadu you would come out nearest to the climate station at Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, San Cristobal, Galapagos Islands.
Rio de Janeiro,
Climate of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below:
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India - 528 kms (328.1 miles) NNW
- Belgaum (Sambre), India - 678 kms (421.3 miles) WNW
- Goa, India - 739.6 kms (459.6 miles) WNW
- Bangalore, India - 281.7 kms (175.1 miles) W
- Mangalore, Karnataka, India - 578.2 kms (359.3 miles) W
- Kozhikode, India - 516.4 kms (320.9 miles) WSW
- Pamban, India - 426.5 kms (265 miles) SSW
- Thiruvananthapuram, India - 613.9 kms (381.5 miles) SW
- Trivandrum, Kerala, India - 613.9 kms (381.5 miles) SW
- Puttalam, Sri Lanka - 553.6 kms (344 miles) S
- Colombo, Sri Lanka - 679.2 kms (422 miles) S